CLASS OF 2015-2016

Saturday, October 26, 2013

GRADES 1,2,3 - MATH / WRITING REAL WORLD PROBLEMS


Writing real world math problems can be challenging for some students, so I created the above template and laminated it so that my students have sentence starters on a white board.  This gives them a structure to create a problem.

The first sentence starter reads (There are....)
The second starter answers the question (What happened?"
The third starter reads (How many....) and asks (What is the question?"


The picture above is my 1st grader creating a problem using the template.


The above picture shows her problem written on paper with a picture to match 8 + 7 = 17.  I let her use phonetic spelling, but it basically reads (There are 8 flowers in the museum.  Bori gives 7 more to the museum.  How many flowers in all?)

I am so proud of this student...when I first enrolled her she would not attempt to sound out and write a word if she thought it would be wrong and now she is writing sentences!!

These templates can also be used for subtraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment