CLASS OF 2015-2016

Saturday, October 26, 2013

GRADE 2 - MATH / COUNTING ON

Counting on is a difficult skill for some students, especially if they have a learning disorder.  I created this mat for scaffolding.  The student can see where the big number goes, and can also see that he/she must count the remaining (little) numbers on the fingers.

I made cutouts of numbers to place in the head part of the drawing.  And students use blocks to put on the fingers.  Here is an example of 8 + 3 = 11.  It is great for visual learners.


After they have mastered the skill in this way, I transfer the concept so that the student is putting the big number in his own head or in his mind and I have him put the blocks on his real fingers to help count.  Note that part of the counting is still visual.


Eventually, I have students put the big number in their mind and count on fingers w/o the block.

Finally, the students count on mentally.

No comments:

Post a Comment